Jan 11, 2010

No joyride this - Part I



You are about to read what you could have read a year ago! I didn't mean to confuse. Well, the day I created my blogger account, I was typing this post (that's about to come) and didn't get around to finishing it. It is probably one of the most personal posts I have written and will ever write (all in good humour) This time around too, I couldn't finish it in one sitting, but I am getting smarter. I divided it into 2 parts :-)





Every female driver will empathize with me. All men will mutter the cliched dialogues - " females cannot/should not drive ". Four-wheelers at that!!  Normal people enroll themselves in driving schools, learn in twenty days , procure their licence without a teeny-weeny hassle and zip zap zoom all over town.





I " learnt " driving from my father and brother (younger). If you are smiling imagining two gentle and kind teachers then you are totally off the track. My brother learnt driving around the same time as me from a neighbourhood driver. He learnt to drive in 7 days flat!!! All this didn't help my cause one bit. I had no interest in learning as I find Bangalore traffic a nightmare and have no road-sense whatsoever. Even a cow would meander its way through traffic better. My dad insisted that I learn and took it upon himself to teach me. He thought he could teach me the basics and then I could go to a school if required (the catch). How nice you might think. I also did. Only for the first class. Father must never teach their daughters how to drive solely because as a rule, they always love the cars more than the daughters! Such a rude shock for poor me.The first lesson I learnt - HONK! Make that the only lesson. If there ever was an International Community for Honking Enthusiasts, my dad would be the  President. It doesn't matter whether you drive at a speed of 50 kmph in 1st gear, but Honk you must. Big deal if you don't accelerate enough, but don't forget to Honk! Sometimes both my dad & bro would come along and I'd be jelly. Quivering and shivering!





Brother : Change the gear ya!
Father  :  You must ALWAYS be alert. Don't dream.
Brother : Accelerate, not brake !!!!
Father  : Horn please! Honk! H-O-N-K!!!!
Brother : Brake , you are going to ram into the auto. $%&t
Father  : Tchah! You will never learn !!
Brother : Tchah! You will never learn !!





I reluctantly persisted with the lessons { " If you are going through Hell, keep going " - That sort of attitude } . If I managed to change gears smartly in one class, I could never turn. If I got the hang of turning in the right direction, reversing was always aimed at trees and innocent people. If reversing happened by fluke, clutch was the bane of my existence. Notice I didn't mention honking. I gave up on that totally. I just honked at regular intervals to please my dad. It didn't help. My dad wanted me to honk on empty roads also!! I refrained from demanding why. I consoled myself with the only plausible explanation --  heavenly bodies fell from the sky by chance directly in front of my car ONLY when I was driving.



Anyhoo, I managed to manoever the car a bit and use all clutch, brake, accelerator correctly atleast once in the course of my driving lessons. But I lacked confidence to drive in the busy roads of Bangalore. I went for my driving test 2 months later. My brother also took it a week before me and it was a breeze for him. I took an appointment (BDA Complex, RTO Indiranagar) and was asked to come by at 1 p.m. noon. I was taking the test in our car so my dad came along. Of course, how could he trust his beloved car with reckless daughter :-D



The Inspector taking my test sat with another student and told me to follow. Even here I wasn't spared with running commentary from dad (Eleventh hour tips !!). In the main road, the Inspector asked me to parallel park. I could've told them then and there that I would be able to park properly only in an empty football ground. I tried and failed miserably.  He was determined to make my life hell. He had my dad for company. The buzzword was parallel park. Next to impossible for me. After half a dozen attempts (each worse than the other), he appointed a Sub-ordinate Inspector to teach me and left !! Inspector # 2 had immense patience and taught me slowly. I managed to park decently and practised a couple of times to be sure. By then, Inspector # 1 returned, gave me a cursory glance and asked " I have 5 minutes. Can you? " (in Kannada). I was a bundle of nerves and my dad was getting more and more irritated by the minute! First attempt - No need to mention. All lessons forgotten. I was back to square one :-( All hell broke loose. I don't know who was more angry - dad or Inspector. Two more trials and I got it right. But Inspector was not convinced and told me to come at 5 p.m. (I guessed he would ponder over the state of my licence for the next two hours - To give or not to give ). I drove home (much better than I did during the test mind you) with an agitated, hot-tempered dad breathing fire.






The moment we reached home, I had had enough and cared two hoots about the licence. Dad vowed he would never let me drive and I swore never to sit in his precious car ever again. Many a driving episode with dad ended like this usually! Dad stormed inside the house and lamented about how he had wasted one entire working day and narrated his version of my hopeless performance. I turned a deaf ear. My mom did what moms do best. Packed my dad off to office assuring him that she would accompany me to RTO for the licence. The only bright spot of the entire day - The Inspector gave me the licence with warnings and a stern lecture for 10 minutes to practise PARALLEL PARKING!!! How I hated that word. I suspected he gave me the licence eventually because like all RTO Officials, he extracted extra 'cash' from us - The Indian way!! I don't know why he made my life hell inspite of all that.





For the next 2 days, the words 'car' , 'test' , 'licence' , 'park' etc were all taboo in my home. I normally don't stay angry with anyone for more than a few hours and never silently , but was livid with my dad for taking sides with anyone and anything but me. So Cold War prevailed in my home. Finally the second evening, dad let it slip cautiously about how parking isn't all that easy even for experienced drivers. Of course that was enough for me and I melted instantly. In this fashion , the peace treaty was then virtually forged between dad and daughter again :-) :-)





More to come ...


Edited To Update on 12/01/10 - This is one of the posts chosen as part of BlogAdda's Tangy Tuesday picks. Click here to read. Thank you BlogAdda, it IS an honour!! :-)



44 comments:

sonal said...

he he he.. literally .. he he he.. ;) .. The way u wrote.. ur dad and brother teaching u.. i would have shouted.. SHUT UP !!!!..
and the sentence.. u'll never learn .. :P..
Dad loves their cars more than their daughters.. Hmm well that's one thing even i need to see.. :P

Waiting for more..

Arkansas Patti said...

This was a totally delightful and funny post. You had me smiling or laughing through out. I can completely relate for it took me 3 times to get my licence (fear of men in blue uniforms).
Can't wait for the next part.

Unknown said...

LOL!! :) I can soooooooooooo empathise with u.. My dad was a sweetie n had Immense patience.. I mean IMMENSE!!! But it was equally tough. Love this post!

chitra said...

I was laughing through out. If it was father for you, for me it was my husband. I do have a license but again I went for a driving practice 2 months back but even after that I haven't taken the vehicle out on my own. Planning to go for another practice session.;). Honge Kamayab..... EK DIN

Mohan said...

You truly rock! Wish those inspectors show similar mercy on male to be driver aspirants. They are ruthless most of the times. Don't know if you have read my articles related to RTO on my blog, but the corruption makes me boil to the core! These suckers are willing to give licenses to even physically challenged people who cannot even drive provided their pockets are filled. There can't be a worse shame than that! Beggers are anytime better than some of the RTO folks.

Nice story lady. Hope it is no more an issue to drive and park your car. Your post just made me read the article that I wrote on honking sometime back :D

Shruthi said...

you dont know how well, repeat, how well I can relate to this post. hehehe.. this was hilarious and you are truly becoming a master narrator :)
after 3 months of me learning and getting my licence I still get nervous while parking. and dad, when I asked him if we can buy a new car gave me a look that could just mean only one thing :P
waiting for the next part :)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. that was too funny gal :) Waiting for the second part. Reminds me of my experiences :P
Check this to read my first driving experience :
http://evanescentthoughts.wordpress.com/2006/04/20/count-so-far-injured-0-dead-0/

When I tried learning in US through some fellow, he kept yelling at me, "you dont know this. That will get you ticket..blah blah". I was like chill, I can drive :)))

Even I keep having such cold wars with dad sometimes :D

SG said...

Nicely written. Enjoyed very much. I was about to say "give him an extra Rs.200 and you don't have to take the test and another Rs.200 more and your license will be delivered in your home". But you already covered it.

lostworld said...

sonal, I used to tell my brother to shut up but unfortunately cannot even dare do the same with dad :-) Oh if you ever learn from your dad, you'll see how much he loves his car.


Arkansas Patti, oh thank you soo much!! I got my Learner's in second attempt only. Luckily the Driving Licence was in one shot(painful one at that) ;-)


MindfulMeanderer, how sweet! good for you Shruti!! and thank you so much :-)


chitra, Jab mann main hai vishwaas, poora hai vishwaas, Aap honge kaamyaab..buss kuch hi dinon mein!! :-) Wish you all the best.


Mohan, OMG You are so angry already? Wait till you go for your licence. RTO Officials will suck the blood out of you to get their way and money. They are known for that. I don't mess with them. My test exp. is enough to give me a lifetime of nightmares.


Shruthi, thank you thank you! Heeeheee..Your dad sounds like mine. So glad you could relate to it :-) Lets hope dad is so impressed with your driving he gifts you a brand new car .. ah! who are we kidding :-p


evanescentthoughts, thanku..so funny trying to imagine you asking your instructor to chill!! Way to go Ashwini ;-D I read your post btw. Nice. Can you drive in Blr too?

SG, thank you very much!! :-) Usually the 'offering' is enough; my misfortune, this Inspector was greedy & psychotic!

Mohan said...

Well, I do have a DL after repeated attempts without having to pay them a single penny :) Btw., I was not at all a bad driver on the very first instance! Some easy 'moolah' is all he was expecting to bless me with a license!!!

Neo said...

I would say on my part that i thank your father and brother , for the intense training sessions dished out to you !! ... atleast they ensured my safety when i was being driven ,by a certain nervous lady , to office !!...
Nice ride were those :-))

Samvedna said...

:)..I can so much understand it, I went thru the same thing, but most of the time I have seen that girls who learn driving always become a better driver:) than boys.

Swaram said...

LOL ...agree with Shru ... Ms.Narrator for sure .. Probably,such things r best in ur hands bcoz they know u will do a good job of with it and give us the much-wanted dose of humour .. err do I dare say that :P

Waiting for more ;)

pawan said...

Firstly congo on ur Tangy Tuesday pick :)
Loved it :D
I too remember the early days of car driving. The car just wouldn't start occasionally for a sudden jump and then it would stop again. In one one of those solitary moments together with our car, I managed to scratch the side door a bit and thanks to Dad I never dared to sit behind the steering again :D

This post reminds of me of those days (I learnt driving in twelve days I guess :P

But never mind, they are ppl who missed the passing in the test more than twice.


Good one :D

Swaram said...

Hey Ro, congrats on the blogadda pick :)

Shilpa Garg said...

Hearty Congratulations on the Tangy Pick! A truly deserving post!!
A pure fun laughter riot!! Simply loved it!! :) :)
I can empathize!! It's the same story here!! Only difference...KG played the role of your father in my story! And the result...I don't drive at all!!

Insignia said...

Oh!! I could relate to each and every thing you mentioned - the confusion, the periodic honking...chaotic Bangalore roads.

I get jitters to drive in Bangalore; feel the skill I've got is invalid to maneuver roads in Bangalore....

Dont worry, I am with you and I am sure there are many such hapless souls as us. :-)

lostworld said...

Mohan, that's good!!


Neo, aha..really ?? :-) thanks.. although the nice lady still vividly remembers how someone always wore their seat belt even before she started the car :-))


Antarman, you never said a truer word. So far, no dents or damages caused by me. Touch wood touch wood !! :-)


Swaram, that is high praise indeed :-) I'm very touched & I'm happy you like my posts so much. Its a gratifying feeling. Thaaaankk You!!!! :-D

pawan, thanks a million for that heartfelt comment. Had a big smile as I read it - Car stopping abruptly et al always happened to me :-) But you learnt in 12 days.. Wow, I'm so impressed! thank you again.


Shilpa Garg, thank you so much! :-) You are too sweet for words. So KG was a clone of my dad huh? But I wish you did persist & drive eventually. Or is farmville a hindrance to such inane activities? ;-)


Insignia, thank you sooo much for that reassuring comment. When we drive in Bangalore and weather the traffic here, it is safe to claim that anywhere else in the world would be a breeze ;-D

Doli said...

hahahha :) I also had quite a similar experience with my dad. I was so fed up I just stopped the car in the middle of the road and said I won't drive heheheh I still remember that day very vividly!

sm said...

lol
thanks for sharing experience
is very useful for starters

Anonymous said...

thanks girlie for reading mine too :) Yep I learnt driving in Blr and used to drive for sometime. But I find it easier to drive here (US) :)

Dreamer said...

ROFL :D. That was nice reading. And congrats for the Tangy Tuesday pick. Btw, women are far more careful than guys when it comes to driving, IMHO.

Anonymous said...

that was a smooth read. like the way you perceive-
" If you are going through Hell, keep going " - That sort of attitude

LMAO.
nice post. keep 'em coming.

Chandrika Shubham said...

Enjoyed each and every line of learning driving a car. :)
Nice one! :)

Tan said...

Hehe....really funny indeed. I did not have to go through this since I learnt driving from a Driving School. You really know to bring humour into your posts!!!

Cheers!!
Tanu

The Print Lover said...

LOL! I faced this when I was 8, when my dad tried teaching me to ride a bike.

10 years later, I wised up and enrolled in a driving school :)

lostworld said...

Doli, that has happened to me so often that my dad even thought I was doing it on purpose ;-) Welcome to my page !


sm, you're welcome..good luck!


evanescentthoughts, driving in US is not so harrowing I realize.. :-)


Dreamer, thank you very much & welcome to my blog!! :-) I think so too - women more careful. But careful isn't always better driving.


desininja, welcome to my page & i'm glad you liked it! hope you will read part2. thank you so much.


Chandrika Shubham, welcome here & thank you so much !!! :-))


Tanushree Pillai, lucky girl! seriously, that's smart. thank you very much :)


The Print Lover, welcome to my space..you learnt your lessons early on. once bitten twice shy I know :-)

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!!

how cool is that...

tangy tuesday it is!!!

gils said...

ungaluku apo "car"am agathu solunga :D

Insignia said...

Thats exactly what I claim to everyone..If you can manage driving in Bangalore, you can anywhere else in the world, heaven and hell :-D

lostworld said...

Shraddha, thank you very much! :-)

gils, hahahaha..idikke naa badil enna solredhe-nu innu yosikarein! hmmm.. :-D

Insignia, bingo! I also say this not with total confidence though as I haven't driven anywhere except Blr :)

Anonymous said...

ahhh that is a humourous post....so how is your parrallel parking practice now?
Aryan's mom

Reflections said...

Congrats on being picked for Blogadda's TTP's:-)).

lostworld said...

Aryan's mom and Reflections, thank you very much!!!!

pgk said...

lols, so true.. i remember after i got my licence,my dad would lecture me on all the above driving his 800! lols!

lostworld said...

pgk, :-) oh u too!!

Haddock said...

That bad eh ?
I mean parallel parking.
Well do you drive now?
The reason I am asking is because I taught my daughter both 4 wheeler and 2 wheeler (very patiently) and she got her licence and thats it.
She just does not want to drive.

lostworld said...

Haddock, parallel parking was one of those rocket science theories back then! Yes I drive..have been driving for 3 years now & I LOVE it!:-)Good Luck to your daughter.

Anonymous said...

Funny post. . And my total support goes to ur dad n brother. . . Lol seriously gals shouldn't drive ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow. The entire incident played in front of me as I was reading this. Very well narrated :)

lostworld said...

:-) Thank you, that's encouraging!

lostworld said...

savvy, I forgot to reply. You haven't any idea how I drive so on that note alone, I overlook the rest :) btw welcome to my page.

Priya said...

Hey, came over from MindfulMeanderer.
Loved this post! Could visualize the entire thing. LOL @ they always love the cars more than the daughters!!

lostworld said...

Priya, thanks for dropping by!!:) You got me reading this again & remembering my learner days. I still vouch for the fact that dads treasure their cars more ;-)