Jul 8, 2010

An anti-jinx for things blue or pink!

                                                 


As a woman,have you ever wanted or done stuff that isn't typical of your gender 

UmaS, evanescentthoughts gils (as an afterthought ;) ) and Reflections tagged me to list some of my sins (as an answer to the above question).  Nearly every blog I read has a list ready & published. I have nothing new, novel or different to add. I mean, as a girl how many things could you have done that boys generally do? Not much in my case. I did grow up playing more with GI-Joes, He-Man etc but the girl in me surfaced every time. I made my mom stitch clothes for GI-Joes. I turned a teacher & would take classes for them, beat them, punish them etc.  I confess that I did my best once to dress up as a Gangster on "mawali day" during my graduation days. I was called a 'cute mawali'. The mawali in me died an instant death but the girl in me was .. blooming !! ;-)  I am an Engineer who cannot fix equipments at home (Since I studied Electronics, changing tube lights and bulbs don't count). I can drive but I am sure I will need help to change punctured tyres. I have a poor sense of direction but I can tell you the exact location of every store in Forum mall with precision. In short, I am not as feminine as Reese Witherspoon in Legally Blonde but I'm not a dude by any stretch of imagination :-)

Anyway, what hasn't been written that I can write here ? I read the tag several times , scratched my head over and over and suddenly saw a light at the end of the sinning tunnel. Instead of what I've done, I'm making a list of things I always wanted but had to forgo thanks to my gender. Tada.. I can now do this tag whenever I am stuck for topics to blog. Of course it is a never-ending list. Make no mistake, I love being female and all that, but there's some amount of mystery involved being someone you never can be. I'll cut the rest of my crap for now and reveal my list -- 


^^ Sport a french beard --  On most men, it looks so hot (words fail me)!!! Have you observed every ullu & lallu also starts looking distinguished whenever they grow one :-) Not implying anything. Just saying.

^^ Be a rock band member - You might disagree with me but there's definitely something about a man who can bray his lungs out and play the guitar like his fingers are going to bleed.

^^ Go someplace exotic alone (or with just 1 very close friend) - Women might be storming men's domains, but I still maintain that it is still very much a man's world out there. Not really possible for a lady to take off to Marseilles on a whim. But no one would really mess with a man. If you've read the book Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, you'll know exactly what I mean by a tour of this kind!


^^ Crew cut - I LOVE short hair. Real short. It makes me very envious when I see women with short hair and carrying it off comfortably. No one (mom or grandma or dad) has ever stopped me from sporting short hair, but it simply doesn't suit me. I once got my hair cut very very short (barely till my ears). I couldn't do anything with it but put a few pins to keep it in place. But you see, even before I stepped out of my house, my hair would be all over my face! It was too much 'maintenance effort' & I gave up. Even now I secretly yearn for short hair but one look at that old photograph of me with dishevelled hair and I'll instantly re-arrange my thoughts. 


^^ Join Indian Army or Air Force - I have short-sightedness so don't tell me I can enrol even now. I don't have the same enthusiasm to join the Services and attend to books or make journal entries. It isn't the same somehow. So I wish I was guy (one with good eyesight, tall and handsome) and I could be an Air Commodore or Wing Commander or Lieutenant. Sigh. 


^^ Dine with Salma Hayek / Sushmita Sen - No need to clarify I presume! 


Done and dusted. I am quite sure my sins include straying away as far as possible from the tag. When I re-read it does sound like a list of 'If I were a guy, I would..' !! Oh well. I seriously did not know how best to tackle this tag and thus, kept it as short as I could lest I invite a barrage of 'you-got-it-all-wrong' comments! :-) It isn't a story of wanting to deliberately try something different. The idea struck and I didn't think all that much.  


I need to tag 12 others. If you don't do it, the rules state you are cursed to wear pink slippers (if you're male) and blue pants(if you're female).  I didn't mind the blue pants, but a curse (however mild) sounds dangerous ;-) You can take your pick!








sonal ( wanna try? )




Hari

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done the tag girl! :)
And even I want to go to Singapore with a friend. You know what the answer at home is! :D
And join the Indian army is something even I wanted to do. I've extreme astigmatism and am female. :(
P.s: I LOVE clean shaven men. Nothing hotter! :P

Anonymous said...

dudette (pen paal for dude??) :D u ver not an after thot ...i typed the names in hyperlink..but tht didnt came properly..so while making thm as text ur name got missed..note panna udanay include paniten :) french bearda..rotfl :D :D salma hayek!!ahem....chaancela..best of the tags ithaan :)

Samvedna said...

Even I want to take a tour all alone:).but dont know whn will I have courage to do so.

SG said...

Very nice post. This "gender tag" is mushrooming all over the place. Everyone writes almost the same thing. Boring to some extent. When I started to read, I thought it will be another boring post. But you made it interesting. Instead of listing what you did, you gave your "wish list". I like your approach and out of the box thinking.

Thanks for tagging me. I am going to follow your example.

Urmil Amol said...

Nice way to handle a tough tag i must say :)....i really enjoyed it...some of the wannados surprized me...i think these tags are a great way to unearth the hidden aspects of a person...its more fun to read a tag than doing it....a herculean task for sure!!

A New Beginning said...

Interesting answers!!!:)

Anonymous said...

Im glad you made it sound different. I was kinda getting bugged reading the same stuffs at about 25 blogs ! and the worst part is to comment on each of them, I mean, how differently can we comment ! :D :D :D

and your tag reminds me, its time I sported my french or manybe next time when I get my crew cut ! and sushmita no, but salma yes ! :D :D :D

btw, thanks for tagging me ! and congratulations, you are the 12th person to tag me !!! :D :D :D I dont think I can take it up, like you I scratched my head enough to come with the feminine side of mine. and except for crying at movies and not watching sports, I cant get any. I scratched my head so hard that now I have turned bald !!! :D :D :D

Anonymous said...

Nice.. you twisted the tag definition itself huh.. IMH's curse might not get lifted :P Hope you have enough blue pants :) JK..
This list has all those things that even I wanted to do.. like rock band member.. I still am planning to learn how to play a guitar.. that's on my list.. Go someplace alone with just 1 friend - done :)
Indian army - yes! even I wanted to join sometime back.. But I love guys who have a clean face - and I dont like french beard :)

Insignia said...

Ooohhhhhhhhh bravo girl!!

I totally agree with you on the goatee beard. The worst of the mawali looks distinguished.

Rock band member!! Get your head strong..you need to bang a lot! :-P

Go some place exotic alone - I do wish this each day. why is it not that easy for us :-( Che Guevara's Motorcycle Diaries is one among other things that made me yearn to travel alone or with just 1 other person

Crew cut. I had it until a year back and I so loved it. But not others!. Uuummmppphhh

the last one - No comments :-)

Now thanks for tagging me. I better take it up.. :-)

UmaS said...

Interesting twist to the tag...but liked your version !!

Hhmmm....french beard ??? OOPS, not for me...a proper mush or clean shaven is better !!!

Go away to Marseilles ???? When ??? When ??? I can come !!!!

Indian Army - not a bad idea at all !!!

Short hair mishap - same with me !! I tell the hair stylist to cut short enuf to put a pony tail - she is shocked !!!

Learning guitar is my daughter's current dream .... :)

On the whole, good list !!! LOL @ not so feminine like Reese !!! :)

Swaram said...

He he. Nice wish-list there ;)

Marseilles - I wud luvvvvv to do that too :)

Nivs, u cn go to Singapore with a friend :)

sonal said...

Ha ha ha.. I mean .. seriously .. ha ha ha ..
I loved the way you twisted the normal old tag .. In which you could have written like
Boozed all night ..
Smoked once ..
Went for a long ride on the bike..

But you made it so different .. Different than the usuals .. Well that is why i always say that your writing/Thoughts are differnt ..

About the things you said you wanted to do.. are really manish ..you know .. And yes .. even i would love to have dinner with sushmita sen..

And about the beard.. I can not forget to mention that How hot Kunal kapoor looks in beard.. He's the only Man in the world whom i like in beard . :P

While writing everything , Now i was thinking that what are the things i have done or want to do which only a man can do .. On teh mawali day .. i was a mawali.. but actually i was more like a hippie .. with nose ring and all that ..:P and well that's it .. Ohh .. shit .. That is it ....

I actually want to go on Bike trips .. for like 2 3 days.. :) .. I 'm actually finding the ppl whom i can go with :P ..

Wow .. Long comment :)

The Double Inverted Commas said...

Lovely one. But you know what I think, goatee/french beard don't look nice on everyone. You have to have the correct attitude to carry it off.

sonal said...

I just saw it that you asked me to do .. :P.. he he.. I already explained in my comment :) ..

lostworld said...

nivedithasperceptions, Hahaha..I don't fancy men with french beards only, just that it adds to overall personality (in a positive way)!;)
Will read your list :)


gils, Hey I couldn't resist pulling your leg as soon as I noticed the diff ;-)Thaaaank you, bahut nanri hai !!!! :-D


Samvedna, Good Luck to us!! :-)


SG, Your comment made my day!!!!! But I don't think IHM (she started this tag) will concur with my version of the tag. I'd love to read your list(more so now, if its on similar lines). Thanks a lot SG !!! :-))


Urmil Amol, Yeah I also had to be careful about what I revealed .. haha :-D It is equally fun doing it too :-) Thank Yous!!


A New Beginning, consider yourself tagged ;)


vimmuuu, 'how differently can we comment' - Very wise words indeed my friend. If you turned bald, sporting the crew cut is gonna take ages now ;-D Thanks for all the compliments..Its sinking in slowly. Never imagined ppl would welcome a deviation from the tag with such sweet comments such as yours :-))


evanescentthoughts, Yes yes I'll stock up enough blue pants. IHM might add some extra powerful curses if she reads this loose version of her lovely tag ;) I've always wanted to play the violin , classical though :) For guitar classes, "Ask Laila" Ashwini. LOL!!


Insignia, Thank youuu! Yus yus please do the tag :-) I cannot head bang, need to avoid hair fall you see ;-)I stared hard @ your profile pic & imagined you with a crew cut. Too bad. I do wanna see. I'm sure you looked chic!! I'm so J again (I'll be having crew cut dreams for a few days now).


UmaS, Thank you!! Chalo, lets go to Marseilles this weekend. Don't tell your family. We'll just take-off :-D Hair-cuts..I stopped going for a haircut. I'm just letting it grow & grow. Its too much of an ordeal (for the beauty parlour ladies) as I am so obsessed about my hair I get wild if they cut even 1 inch extra ;-/


Swaram, yeah!! Thanks :-)


sonal, See how hard I work to ensure you read something different each time. This time I put myself in a man's shoes!! ;-) Kunal Kapoor - absolutely my friend. I agree - One of the smartest looking men around!!:-))Bike trip? More trips? Can I come as pillion ..pleease :-)
- And thanks a lot Sonal!!!!! Your comments are always sooo encouraging :-)))


The Double Inverted Commas, Yup true..It looks out of place on wimps.But when I put myself in a man's shoes, I'm going to be having the propah attitude and all that jazz.. happy? ;-)

Shruthi said...

bwahahahaha i love the twist in the tag :D well done girl! glad to see some change.
and I agree about crew cut. Till I was 21 years old, my hair was kept short. you could easily think I was just another boy riding a green scooty, seriously am not exaggerating :P
After that I got so caught up with post-grad etc that I let my hair grow :( and now I have got used to long hair *sigh*

Arkansas Patti said...

Good to see you are not afraid of the blogger police and can break the rules. Way to go and that disregard of rules itself does qualify as a bit of a male trait.
These tags do reveal a lot and you did a great job.
Thanks--I think--for tagging me. Will need to give it some thought first.

R-ambam said...

u have a great blog .. u r a painter too :)

was following gils on what any girl has written for this tag ..

ur writing is very amusing.

chitra said...

Tagging on gender stereo types is doing its rounds , this is the 2 nd post I am reading today on the same topic,. Your wish list is good. and I also like the new look of your page .

up↑take said...

try shaving your head, cute mawali

Anonymous said...

Hey i just loved loved the post.. coz of a different flavor u gave to it.. I soo totally agree that no matter how much we think we r free like men r.. but still we cant just roam anyplace anytime being a girl.. huh... I just wish to have a journey like that motorcycle diaries.. wow!! Its a dream..

Hari said...

Thanks for the tag R*****a (!) :)

As usual, your posts are extremely easy on eyes and other sensory organs :). Well written post and I bet you had a ball drafting this one ;)

lostworld said...

sonal, yus explanations accepted. Curse lifted ;)


Shruthi, Lucky lucky you! I've had short hair (boy-cut) till I was 6 yrs old & then much later when I was 18/19. 21 yrs!!!;-0 WOW! LoL @boy in green scooty! Thank God your scooty wasn't pink!;-p


Arkansas Patti, I am verryy scared of the blogger police but I decided to sweet-talk them in case they reprimanded me ;-) Looks like there's no need (yet)! I still have a draft with a tag of yours half-complete. Don't worry, I won't mind if you take your time(or even skip it)!;-D


R-ambam, welcome here :) Thanks .. and that's really nice of U !! :-))


chitra, do you have a wish-list? Thanks a lot!!!:-)


uptake, :-))Haha..Shuddup!!!!!


vineetasdiary, Seriously! I am soo fond of that book I must've read it end to end 3-4 times & then parts of it that I like another 3 times! ;-D Thanks Vineeta!


Hari, thumba thanks!! Easy on eyes I can totally understand but not other senses :-) Actually I'm enjoying replying to the comments. When I wrote, I wasn't sure where I was heading to :-))

SG said...

Please visit my post. You have been tagged (again)

Tan said...

Hi dear,

I am very much here.... I will post something soon :-)

Shilpa Garg said...

Interesting list!!
Liked the twist in the tag!!
Indian Army /Air Force is cool!!
Travel alone...thumbs up!! :)
Cheers :)

Shilpa said...

Sigh i want to do this too "Go someplace exotic alone (or with just 1 very close friend)"

Chatterbox said...

Wonderful twist to the tag :)
I have been away on a vacation in the past two weeks and my reader seems to have been flooded by posts done for this tag.
I enjoyed the twist you added to the whole concept.
I have been giving due thought after being tagged by many friends and requested to do the tag by IHM herself, but I am unable to come up with any ideas that would make me a sinner (according to the guidelines of this tag).

Keep up the good work :D :D

lostworld said...

SG, Before I read your post, I thought you tagged me to do the gender one again (as a curse) ;-))


Tan, Get on with it I say!! ;-)


Shilpa Garg, thank you aaaand thaaaank you!!! Part of my education was in Air Force School so you now know the reason behind the fixation!:-)


Shilpa, First things first-do the tag! :D


Chatterbox, Good to have you back. We all need breaks. Hope you're all charged to write some smashing stories..Or have you already posted?(I will check soon). Oh ya this tag is spreading like virus I tell you ;-D

Rajlakshmi said...

hehehe so the tag comes here too :D
nice twist you have added to the tag :D
beard!!!! please no ... why!!!!!
:P
ya even i want to join a rock band... but then zero talent :(
nice one and thanks for tagging :)

Reflections said...

LOL@ the ullu and lallu point;-D

And oooh I so love a crew cut too...I'd have gotten one for myself looong back but havent had the guts really.
Ummm....actually I have this doubt tht I'll look like a 61 yr old trying to act 16;-(

About the army...same to same pinch;-D

Enjoyed reading ur tag Rohitha...like Javed Jaffry says in the ketch up ad "its different";-D

lostworld said...

Rajlakshmi, I really think men with french beards look classy..cannot explain why! ;-) I am waiting to read your list of sins!!!


Reflections, I don't have the guts to go for a crew cut. My worry however is that my hair may not grow & I may be stuck with just that! Imagine me in a crew cut + saree. Yieeeks! ;-)
- Thank youuuu :)

Anonymous said...

**Sigh**..I want to do these things too...

Kudos girl. For taking a done to death tag and doing it so differently. :)

ps: Love the new look of the blog!

lostworld said...

Choco, you too!!! ;) Ok go on, do the tag then. And thanks.

Tan said...

Hey lostworld....

Missing your posts....Come back

lostworld said...

Your wish is my command. Hang on :)