Mar 9, 2010

where is the party?


I was brought up in Bangalore and have seen it emerge as one of the most 'posh-est' cities to reside in (India). For me, one of the indicators to this has been my evolving movie-watching experiences. From my pauper-student days to the present. Innumerable multiplexes have sprung up all over in the last 4-5 years and stand-alone theatres are soon becoming a thing of the past. The tickets are priced at anything as low as Rs. 100 (on weekday mornings alone) and go up to Rs. 500 (Gold Class). When Avatar released last December, the tickets were a vulgar Rs. 1000 ( US $22) in the opening week in a couple of multiplexes and after 2 weeks , reduced to Rs. 450.  Reason - 3-D & the Cameron-hype of course!!! Soon after, 3-Idiots was released during Christmas and guess what, the prices did not reduce!! Rs. 350 for the first 3 weeks. Daylight robbery in short.You'll be amazed at how crowded every multiplex is despite the sky-rocketing prices. Forum mall on Hosur road stands the highest risk of collapsing under its own weight soon.

I'm tempted to believe that most movies make atleast a third of their profits from the movie maniacs in Bangalore alone. Although not maniacs, my friends & I also contribute heavily to this billion dollar industry. I have friends from my schools, college, office, neighbourhood etc and in the last 1 and 1/2 years, have watched  a zillion movies in the pretext of 'spending time' with each other;-D I watch movies very animatedly. I rarely take them seriously and when you read more, you'll see what I mean. I'm certain to attract a whole lot of brickbats for this post - I shall try to dodge! On a serious note, take the whole thing as a joke will ya?!

Don't fall off your chair in shock. Yes, for a movie-basher, I do watch an awful lot of movies. Apologies to Arkansas Patti & Agnes, they may see stars whilst reading this post as most of them are Indian movies. But you can share your views on movies or any funny experiences with me.. :-)

Here we go ----(random order). I'm not adding any links. You can go to IMDB.

## Happy smileys indicate higher tolerance and enjoyment levels. It does not qualify as a must-watch. Dull smileys is to convey that I wish I had the sense to skip it.

:-( Rab ne bana di jodi -  I like SRK (that in itself is enough to attract a dozen curses my way I assume) so I was hopeful it might be  OK. I went for this one the very day it got released. I wish I had slept at home instead. Torture-oh-torture, maha-bore! No, I didn't like the much talked about credits either.

:-) Slumdog Millionaire - Aside from the oscar hype, it was one of the 'love stories' I actually liked.

:-( Angels & Demons - Someone please explain why Tom Hanks was chosen to play Robert Langdon. I forgot the actual story after I watched this!

:-) Ghajini (Hindi) - Don't ask why, I got scared watching this movie & couldn't sleep properly. The villain haunted me. Surprising considering I had watched the same movie in Tamil earlier (which had the s-a-m-e villain playing a double role at that).

:-( New York - Very youthful and good-looking cast.The end. All 3 looked like they were shooting for an advertisement.

:-) Wake up Sid - Just for Sid Mehra and the breezy music, nice! Oh & really nothing to dislike in this movie.

:-( Ajab Prem ki ghazab kahaani - someone rightly called this movie 'ajeeb prem ki wahiyaad kahaani'. I concur.

:-) Avatar - 3D , Visual Effects ,was phenomenal I accept. At any rate, I'm not breathlessly waiting for the sequels.

:-( Kurbaan - Yet another terrorism related-shukranallah movie. Give it a rest guys. For the love of inter-racial harmony and all that jazz, puh-leeeez!!

:-) My name is Khan - I have always liked SRK (even when he overacts), but shifty eyes and practised pregnant pauses does not qualify as Autistic acting!!! This movie is worth watching only because Karan Johar finally broke free from his habitual 'love your relatives , parents and neighbourhood donkey' mould!

:-( 2012 - Sudden friday evening plan with my neighbours. I really liked this movie. I mean, whatever little I saw of it. I slept blissfully throughout the second half;-D Thank God for small mercies. I don't think I missed much.

:-) 3 Idiots - Good for a few laughs but give me Chetan Bhagat's 'five point someone' anyday. It was atleast more human and less godly. The movie was so preachy & contrived I lost interest towards the end. Have no clue why Aamir Khan and his other Khan cousins have this narcissist tendency.

:-( Love aaj kal - I liked only the pretty Brazilian lady. She never spoke, never acted and never disappointed ;-p

:-) Paa - I loved it. Watched this with my mom bunking office ; my dad doesn't like BigB too much these days so he skipped this:-) Arundhati Nag was classic, like wine.

:-( He's just not that into you - With a title like that, I don't blame you for wondering who would even go to watch this!!

:-) Public Enemies - I will change my name to 'venkatesh devi rama rao' but will never criticise a Johnny Depp movie in any forum. Hero-worship , scorched and blinded by admiration it is!!

:-( Did you hear about the Morgans? - Breezy romance is alright. Hugh Grant is bearable in scenes. That aunty better stick to her soap - she's soppy and well, I doubt even old men found her appealing!

:-) Ice Age 3 - Shame on you if you missed this one!!

:-( Ayirathil Oruvan(tamil) - Having read 'Ponniyin Selvan' recently, I watched this with sky-high expectations. I can't even say they came crashing down. As I really didn't even understand the Tamil dialect in the second-half.

:-) Rocket Singh, Salesman of the year - Ranbir Kapoor was bright! Not a brilliant story or film, but definitely not boring.

:-( Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - The only good thing that came out of this movie was - I re-read all books from 1-7 for the nth time!

:-) Kaminey -I love the way marathi sounds you know. I really want to learn the language. 'Guddu, kithe Guddu'..Oh man, I should shift to Maharashtra!!

Check that out. I'm sure I've seen a few more , but I am not able to recall. Other than 4-5 of these, I watched all others in the theatre. When I was reading the newspaper about the recent awards ceremonies, I realized I seem to have watched a record number of movies this year! Usually the number could be counted in just one hand. I don't want to get started on all the food that I eat while watching movies. Makes me rue -- What a collossal waste of money! No wonder my dad says that even if my friends & I stop watching movies for a couple of months, multiplexes will run into huge losses in Bangalore. The reason I wrote this post is so that I read and re-read and think twice before watching any movie this year :-) It isn't like I'm starved for things to do otherwise. I'm usually happy in my own company also. So, henceforth please add your comments in my blog for any random post also with a tag 'no lostworld no..stop watching movies in multiplexes; here read this book instead..' :-))

Well, my current mood is quite like the song 'right round' (Flo rida). I dunno about yours, but my head is spinning like a top!! :-S

42 comments:

Shruthi said...

Super post! you need not dodge my friend :)
I first read the Da Vinci code and pictured Tommy boy as Langdon. But then I watched the movie and barfed. I haven't watched Angels and Demons. and don;t think I will heee.

hi-five on hero worshiping Depp. I love that guy :)
and you know what, same pinch, I have similar thoughts on Marathi. I watch marathi saregamapa show on tv, just so that I can enjoy their music and their language.

I feel the only scene that was worth watching in Harry potter-HBP was the bridge one. The rest of the movie was pathetic.

well finally I have something that proves we are two different people. I hate SRK :D

Rajlakshmi said...

lolzzz hillarious... I am not a movie bluff... hindi movies sometimes bore me :D
loved your take on love ajj kal lolzzz :D
prices are indeed skyrocketing... without much value :)

The Double Inverted Commas said...

Cool post! What about Dostana, Dil Bole Hadippa et al.? You decided to spare yourself the torture? ;)

Agnes said...

You're right -- Slumdog is the only one I saw :-) And I liked it :-)

Anonymous said...

lol girl. Sadly I wont give you that advice :P Because I myself spend plenty of $$ on movies every yr :D Liked your list. And guess what! I have watched almost all those you have mentioned except probably ones like Paa, Did you hear about the Morgans? or He's just not that into you :)) I watched Ajab Prem ki ghazab kahaani for half an hr but switched off since I couldnt bear the torture :)Oh I hated Slumdog movie a lot!

Anonymous said...

I should be your chennai counterpart in watching the most number of movies in an year !!! Till Jan this year, I used to watch atleast 2 movies a weekend in the theatre alone ! After that, I got married !! Yet to get back to the old stream !! :D :D Sheesh !! we are contributing a lot to the industry !!!

Except for the angrezi ones, I watched all of them. Slumdog isnt angrezi, is it ?? :D :D :D

I used to review movies this way under the title Small is Beautiful (SIB) till a year ago :D :D glad to see someone else rate movies similarly ! :D :D

Except for Aayirathil Oruvan, I agree and feel the same about those movies. I could speak volumes on all the positives of Aayirathil Oruvan; I just love that movie, especially the second half ! :)

Dhanya said...

I actually liked Rab ne bana di jodi :O :O I catch the reruns on TV too :D :D

Vineeta said...

Wow.. I hv got a movie buff blogger frnd :D Yes even I watched almost of all n some more in theatre.. Reason - Somebody feels that movie will be good.. so our herd goes out watching it in the premier show!!! Yes did lot of blunders this year but then isn't it still worth it? :D I m sure u will agree :)

sonal said...

Hey.. He he he.. I read this yestreday night on my phone and couldnt stop smiling .
And DO NOT expect me to say that don;t watch movies.. ( Who will watch movies with me then :P ) .. though the movies we watched were all happy smilies .. he he ..

Well written !!!!

Insignia said...

Hilarious lostworld!! No one has given better reviews than you. You should become a movie reviewer!! Seriously!!!

Heights of sarcasm. I so completely liked this post!! Thumbs up!!

Anonymous said...

emmaadiyoovvv...evlo movies!!! and most of them night shows!!! u like to sleep in ac even in blore? :D :D
//No, I didn't like the much talked about credits either./
who was there on the credits for tht movie?? they shd be discredited first..except for that "tuj mein rab diktha hai" song and YUMMY YUMMY anushka and yeah oldy looking SRK..tht movie is bilkul bakwass..

hey our taste match on most of the movies :D i liked "ajab gajab" though..bindass movie :) semma time pass..esp that party scene..Ranbir rocks :) i cudnt even believe he did that goofy gig without any BGM running at that time!!

u din like "Love aaj kal"??!! :)) i can watch it for deeps and tht brazillian again and again and some more agains :)

//I will change my name to 'venkatesh devi rama rao' but will never criticise a Johnny Depp movie in any forum. Hero-worship , scorched and blinded by admiration it is!!
//

!!! and i hope u like gerard butler also?!!! gals..bah!!

we want ice age 4 *hifi* :)

looking at HP-6 picture i doubt if i wud want to see the next one..which i believe is done in two parts!!!

ditto over marathi dialect and esp the way piggy chops speaks it :) sounds more yummy :)

WOW...so many movie reviews at one shot :D :D ur head shd surely be spinning :D :D

~gils

Anonymous said...

i guess its something to do with the blore weather..before going there..i had hardly been to theaters in chn. my damager used to tell me the my hra shd be renamed as "forum visiting allowance" :D not just forum..every single theatre in ulsoor where any dubakoor tamil movie was screened..been there..seen there :) we were a gang of ten and every weekend wud be spent in movie watching spree..heights was once we say "ayutha ezhuthu" "hum tum" and one more movie on same day..same theater..back to back to back :D came out..bot tickets for next movie and went in again :D breakfast..lunch..dinner..ellam angeye thaan :D :D that was Naga theater i guess..in ulsoor..ipo thookitaanga nenakren..its no longer there i believe.

Urmil Amol said...

i have seen you creating the one of greatest movie watcher record for 2009 :)....and also seen you not enjoying the experience so much...so i can relate even more to the post....u r right may be the time can be spent in a better way....challenge is to say a polite "No" to people when they ask us to join :)...well written post :)

Unknown said...

LOL!! Wow! thats a movie watching / review marathon .. Though i can boast of watching more movies ;) albeit in the comfort of my home.. My hubby is a total movie freak!!
Loved this post of urs.

Unknown said...

Loved it totally...and me thinks me caught every movie after that strike last year that realised except for Wake up Sid...Friday last show...:))

My dad says, I'm ready before time (read hours) only when I have to go out for a movie..lol! Our Dads have so similar views on our movie going...heee

Agree on most of the movies, except for Avatar.. I didn't like it at all, waste of time and money what else! cameron I'm forewarned!

Ash

Anonymous said...

I never knew that you are a movie bluff :-)

I began 2009 with Ghajini and ended with 3 Idiots.I was pouring with tears while watching 3 Idiots :(

Very well written post.
May be you should start watching Kannada movies .
You will have loads of things to write ;-)

Anonymous said...

And the award for watching the record number of movies goes to LW !!!! Applause !!!!!

Really enjoyed reading ur version !!!! You've such immense patience, to watch certain movies, which I wouldn't have ventured for !!!

lostworld said...

Shruthi, I wish I'd learnt my lesson after watching DaVinci Code!! :-( Marathi saregamapa on tv -I have to watch that now:)thaaank you! I'll learn some marathi songs now..hee:D


Rajlakshmi, thing is, they bore me too.But I guess my threshold level was higher last yr;)thankuu!


The Double Inverted Commas, I watched Dostana like a tele-series in 4 parts. I still haven't seen the first 10-15 mins:):)


Agnes, now that I know!;-)


evanescentthoughts, I'm willing to bet that my friends & I were the ONLY ones who watched 'he's just not that into you'!!;-D Did you hate Slumdog b'cos of the poor portrayal of India?


vimmuuu, this list is after watching 2 movies a month. Had it been 2 a week, it would've been a looooong one & I'd have been looooong exasperated!My tamil isn't excellent so second-half of Ayirathil Oruvan went totally overhead. Let me chk out SIB!;-)


Dhanya, so I guess my post put you off totally:-O I hope you read the rest:-))


Vineeta, love the way U think:) Herd & blunder sounds just like us.Heee:D And yes, it was worth it. I got to write a post. What more can I ask?


sonal, yup we have watched all the good ones together:) I'm stunned you counted MNIK also as a 'good' one ;-) So 3 cheers to us(before u change ur mind)!! :-))


Insignia, with praises like that, you are tempting me to apply for Rajeev Masand's job:D Sarcasm is his domain entirely!!Thank U!!!!:-)


gils, there's so much DROOL all over my page!Is there any actress you dislike btw..just an innocent question!! ;)Naga theatre is history I think.. and Thankooo for the clever idea. I shall tell my parents that b'lore weather is the reason behind my movie-marathon last yr:D


Urmil Amol, thank you!!:-)) I shall seriously work on that so that I utilize my time better. Otherwise I'll wait outside the theatres & dream while my friends go watch;-)


MindfulMeanderer, thankoo!! Do write some reviews also then. How do you get time to watch movies in between all the craft-making time:D


Pins N Ashes, thaaaaank you!! I'm laughing at your dad's comment. Dad's always have the 'nicest' way of voicing their views:D


Shobha, Ayyo I'm not a movie-buff:)thankiee..Have seen only 2 Kannada movies - Muthina haara & Mungaru Male. Both were good. Having lived so long in B'lore I've never seen a Rajkumar movie till date. Heee:D Imagine!


umsreflections, Thaaaank You!!Yay. An award for anything is welcome ;-)The other name for patience is good food/snacks Uma :-))

chitra said...

How can one see so many movies. I can't even imagine sitting in crowded place for hours. But I enjoyed reading your post Very good writing skills.
I too like Marathi. I have stayed for about 7 years in Pune and it has taught me some Marathi more over my MT is Konkani.

Samvedna said...

Most of the hindi movies mentioned..even I have seen and I agree to your review:)..except that I didnt like Slumdog millionaire.

Paa was such a sweet movie..kaminey I couldnt understand much what with dark all the time.

Enjoyed the post!

Arkansas Patti said...

Actually, I had seen some of them but not in a theater. The closest one to me is a 3 hour round trip so I get mine on DVD from Netflix. Much cheper way to go. Got a feeling Avatar will not be the same on a small screen in 2D but we do what we can.
At the prices you are charged,I doubt I would go even if we had a near by theater. Books are good and libraries are free.

Anonymous said...

yep that's why hated it. I hated the attitude of the director. If there were good things and slums, I would have probably liked but just the bad side, couldnt tolerate.

sm said...

like the post narration
and like the one liner review of each movie

SG said...

I do not see Hindi movies. I agree with your opinion on most of the English movies. Aayirathil Oruvan...i think you were kind to the producers. It is such a disappointing movie. Even the music (Music Director G. V. Prakash and he is A. R. Rahman's nephew) is only marginal.

Anonymous said...

alo..i the no partiality..all actress i the like :D :D naan combineda ellarapathum droolinatha neenga depp oruthan mela deepa droolitel :D

~gils

lostworld said...

chitra, Oh its interesting to see that most ppl who've commented like marathi!! Don't make me feel so guilty..all of these movies were spread over a yr and a half!Thaaaank you:-)


Samvedna, True Kaminey was a dark & quite a fast-paced movie. I can understand your sentiments towards Slumdog Millionaire:)


Arkansas Patti, I'm gonna make that my mantra - " Books are good & libraries are free ". It has a nice ring to it!!:)


evanescentthoughts, I thought so! Funnily, that was precisely the reason why I liked it. The movie was all about slums, set in slums, about slum-dwellers & Danny Boyle didn't sugar-coat it at all.


sm, thank you:):) One-line is all I could manage.


SG, You're right.To me, it seemed like Selvaraghavan imagined some sort of fantasy adventure but I don't know what he set out to film:-( I completely lost track of music etc thanks to the weird twists/turns in the movie ;-p


gils, Whattosay--I asked for this, didn't I!!;-)

Anonymous said...

That is a hell lot of movie...Even 2012 you slept through the second half that..is super...

yes Kurban was waste....

SRK is overacting now. The way you write is so good...I think I should also do a movie post...
Aryan's mom

Reflections said...

I dont really fancy SRK but liked Rab de bana di jodi & MNIK[once u ignore the irritating mannerisms of SRK the movies tend to be watchable...seriously, try it]
And Ajab Prem was such a silly movie....but I'm sure did well only bcoz of RK & the songs. He is a guy to watch out for. Only he cd have done tht Jejus scene[remember] & made it look so sweet. I mean, any other hero and we wd have cringed but here we laughed right.
I liked Paa and 3 idiots tho the dumb delivery scene was just too much;-/

Seriously Rohitha u come up with some great topics.....this post brot back so many memories;-D.

AK said...

Sorry that I read this entry on your blog. Sadly I ve to say your taste of love, romantic, mushy mushy story is switched off or probably missing. Love can happen in so many ways, if you can feel the love behind the movie and all the glamour, that makes a movie worth watching. I find DDLJ all glossy when I watch it now, yet I always see the real love in that movie even know or for the matter of fact in KKHH and DTPH.
Haven't read the other comments, but may be the only Thumbs down critic for this post.

PS: I ve written a new love story! Care to comment???

Anonymous said...

Hey..I am happy to know that being in B'lore you managed to watch so many(Hindi)movies..looks like,The PVR in forum has maximum contribution from you and your friends :-P Very nice and hilarious post..i enjoyed it as usual :-0

lostworld said...

Subha(Aryan's mom), yeah why don't you do a movie review soon :)


Reflections, I agree to all except Rab ne(was way too fruity for me).MNIK minus his mannerisms was sensible. RK has amazing screen presence no? I liked the Jejus scene & also another where he goes all dressed up smartly to work(make jalebis):D :D thankieee Nancy, to be honest, I thought noone would buy my thoughts on this post:-0


Arpit, My reply lies in your comment "Love can happen in so many ways.." Its true I'm not romantic, but I'm not dry & devoid of all emotion you know!!I like smthing like- 'Kaise mujhe'-there was a story,ARR's haunting music, the lyrics & AK emoted it to perfection.Tell me you enjoy some movie & I would accept whole-heartedly(a lot of ppl who've commented above also like RNBDJ)..but to claim that ppl have no emotion simply b'cos they dislike or don't relate to all KJo/YashRaj movies..well,that is taking it to another level:D

maverickshree, Thanks!!!:-)) PVR thrives on our movie-watching sprees;-) Hindi/Eng is the preferred one since everybody understands it!

Tan said...

I have watched some of these movies with my friends. Your post brought lots of memories to my mind. :)

C G said...

Rofl! You sure watched a lota films and I agreed with you on most...I liked Avtaar...I think the 3D excited me so much that I couldn't care less about anything else...Mmm..So I agree with you on all...

A hell of a review and a pretty blog! :)

Shilpa Garg said...

Very interesting reviews! :D
Enjoyed reading it!! :)
Have seen some from your list! :(

lostworld said...

Tan, that's nice:)

CG, welcome, thanks for dropping by!!!!:-) I was quite excited when Avatar released..3D was the only reason I watched it as I remember having fun while watching 'Chota Chetan'!!


Shilpa Garg, thankoo!! :)was looking fwd to your comment as I know you like movies but why the sad face..??

Swaram said...

LOL @ Karan Johar finally broke free from his habitual 'love your relatives , parents and neighbourhood donkey' mould :P

lostworld said...

Swaram, yeah small relief & signs of change;)

Hitesh said...

Banglore is expensive....i mean i used to watch movies in Delhi for maxi of 150.....at the best theaters......around and in Delhi....but here...ohh man....

though there were a lot of movies which sucked last year....i too have a lots of fav from last year.....Dev D, Gulaal.......

\,,/

lostworld said...

Hitesh, sorry I forgot to reply. Thanks for visiting!!!:) B'lore is (I think) the most expensive metro for movie-watching. Have watched movies in Chennai & it is reasonable too. Shucks-I haven't watched Dev D. I must!!

Chinkurli said...

I remember as a college student, watching movies at Cauvery for the princely sum of Rs 40, which was expensive on my tiny budget back then! Now, they charge even more. Bah!

Shilpa said...

:) ha... haa.... maybe you can start a review column for the movies... we can read those before we take the plunge.....

lostworld said...

Chinkurli, thanks for dropping by. No clue what would cause the prices to come down to affordable rates!


Shilpa, the idea is to cut down on movie-watching :D so no such grand ideas please. Thank you though & welcome here:)